The building was designed in 1934 by Emily & Williamson for an International insurance company which used the “aegis”, the shield of Jupiter (Father of the Roman Gods) and Minerva (Goddess of Wisdom and War.) The storeys rise higher and higher until almost out of sight, and draw the eyes upward to the stepped roof line and the sky, the abode of the Gods. The facade lacks all decoration but the simplest geometric motif.
Aegis Building from above (The Heritage Portal)
Aegis Building Entrance (The Heritage Portal)
Aegis Building Sketch (South African Builder, 1935)