Built in 1888 as a jail and hospital. Used by the prison department until 1963. Dr James O’Reilly was the District Surgeon and Mr Carl Ueckermann was the local magistrate at the time. Salmon van As was executed against the back wall by the British on the 23rd of June 1902. The building is reputed to have a number of ghosts. The Suikerbosrand Moth Shell Hole are the custodians since 1993.
Click here to read more about the Old Gaol.
Old Prison, corner of Jordaan and Ueckermann Streets