Designed in 1899 by Carter & MacIntosh, this elegant late Victorian building housed the Johannesburg branch of The Natal Bank, and is the city’s oldest existing bank building. Ownership of the Natal Bank changed several times in the 20th century, and so did the usage of this building. In the 1960s it was used as a rehearsal space for the Bank Players, and in 1988 it became the First National Bank Museum. It was from here that Neil Fraser of the Central Johannesburg Partnership championed the regeneration of the historic inner city in the 2000s.
90 Market Street, Johannesburg
Natal Bank from above (source unknown)
Natal Bank (left) (The Heritage Portal)
Old images of the Natal Bank (Hardijzer Photographic Collection)