Mr Frederick Korsten Mare was appointed the first Magistrate of Heidelberg in 1866, when it is presumed that the house was built. President Paul Kruger would often visit the Mare family and would overnight in one of the “stoep kamers”. The Mare family stayed here until 1879. The property was leased to the Standard Bank from 1879 to 1881. In 1984 the property was sold to the Methodist Church. In 1989 the building was declared a National Monument.
60 Strydom Street, Heidelberg
Mr Maré's House (Heidelberg Heritage Association)
Mr Maré's House Blue Plaque (Heidelberg Heritage Association)