Built in 1897, the mining town's tallest building expressed confidence in the future. This premier gentlemens' outfitter symbolises the city's retail history and remains a landmark in time and place. The building was saved from demolition in 1978, thanks to a public outcry and the combined efforts of heritage organisations and the city council.
Corner Eloff and Pritchard Streets, Johannesburg
Photographs of Markhams (The Heritage Portal)
Old photo of Markhams (Johannesburg and Pretoria Guide 1905)