Built on farmlands on the outskirts of the city, the Delta Sewage Disposal Works operated from 1934 – 1963. Converted to a centre for environmental education under the direction of philanthropist Norman Bloom, the main building re-opened in 1978, and the surrounding grounds became a public park. Together, the old water works structures form a fine group of municipal Art Deco Buildings, which include the spectacular central block, the main entrances and the gate houses, staff houses and worker’s compound.
Delta Municipal Park, Road No.3, Victory Park
Old photograph of the Delta Park Environmental Centre
Delta Park Blue Plaque Installation (City of Johannesburg)
Photograph of the Delta Park Environmental Centre (The Heritage Portal)