The Congregational Church is a Christian movement brought to South Africa by the London Mission Society. The founding principle is that each congregation is autonomous and decisions are taken by consensus. In 1897 Johannesburg's first Congregational Church was built in Turffontein. By 1905 the congregation had grown and architect Robert Howden designed a simple structure with decorative Gothic features and the old church become the hall. For the first eight years the pastor was Rev M. Richardson. The new church was opened in 1906 by Lord Selborne.
9 De Villiers Street, Turffontein