In 1931, replacing a small building of the same name, architects Emley and Williamson used modern material and Art Deco motifs for a new “Castle” in Eloff Street, which was then the city’s most fashionable shopping street. Pre-cast concrete blocks provide a sense of strength and endurance, the central attic tower hints at a stronghold of the fortress, the keep. The flagpole right at the top, which made it the tallest building in Johannesburg at the time, enhances the notion of a citadel with pennent flying aloft.
87-93 Eloff Street, Johannesburg
Photographs of Castle Mansions (The Heritage Portal)
Old photo of Castle Mansions (Seventy Golden Years)