In 1923 a group of Irene residents raised 293 Pounds to build a library and village hall. The library was a west facing room not much larger than a garage and both became the responsibility of the Irene Association. The village hall was first used as the local post office and then the circuit court complete with holding cells. In 1949 it became the depot for the Transvaal Provincial Library serving the village of less than 800 residents. The Irene Association (a voluntary group) still continue to manage the Village Hall and are constantly carrying our maintenance and improvements to the Hall. The Hall was officially opened by Mrs J JA van der Byl on Octover 6th 1923.
Fill out this form to apply to join The Heritage Directory.
Click here to search The Heritage Directory