Situated in the heart of a bustling African diasporic neighbourhood, Windybrow provides a social window to Johannesburg’s past. Designed in 1896 by William Leck for Theodore Reunert, founder of the engineering firm of Reunert and Lenz, its architecture is eclectically Victorian: a mock Tudor exterior seemingly at odds with Anglo-Moorish interiors. The house is a symbol of the use of a wealthy business class in Johannesburg when mining created the need for secondary industries. By 1945 it was part of the BG Alexander Nursing College. In the 1980s it was transformed into a theatre and arts space for the Performing Arts Council of the Transvaal. Following extensive renovations the house re-opened in 2017 as the ‘Windybrow Arts Centre’.
Corner Nugget & Pietersen, Doornfontein