Red Square was a favourite political meeting place for protest movements around the 1940s and 50s, at a site now covered by the South Mall and Car Park 4 of the Oriental Plaza. The Defiance Campaign was launched here in 1952, the first mass anti-apartheid campaign led by Nelson Mandela as Volunteer-in-Chief. Completed in 1976, the Plaza was built to accommodate Indian traders evicted by the apartheid government from 14th Street in Pageview / Fietas.
38 Lilian Ngoyi Street, Fordsburg
Photographs of the Oriental Plaza (The Heritage Portal)