This was the site of the first stadium in Soweto, officially opened in 1959. For almost 50 years this was a famous home of soccer, associated with a host of sporting greats, and a venue for other sports, entertainment and political events. In June 1976, this was the planned destination of protesting students, but police prevented marchers from reaching the stadium. The original Orlando Stadium was demolished in 2006, to be replaced by a modern new facility.
Martha Louw St &, Mooki St, Soweto, 1804
Photographs of Orlando Stadium (The Heritage Portal)
Orlando Stadium Signage and Blue Plaque (Sticky Situations)