Completed in 1919, The Munro Drive opened up Lower Houghton for development. Named after John Munro, a director of the Johannesburg Consolidated Investment Company, developer of Houghton Estate, it traverses a steep 900m with a hairpin bend and an impressive retaining wall. The original wall collapsed in 1938, and was rebuilt with dressed stone and an iron railing decorated with the City’s then coat of arms. Its views over the northern suburbs and beyond have made it a much-loved landmark in the city.
Munro Drive, Houghton Estate
Munro Drive (Kathy Munro)
Old photographs and postcards of Munro Drive