These granite rocks were blasted from the original quarry using the first dynamite produced in the AECI factory in November 1896. The quarry was located at the Blasting Explosive entrance of the factory. The rocks provided material for the foundations of various buildings. The foundation of this home at 8 Brussels Ave, part of the original Hamburg Village, has preserved an example of this type of construction.
Thornhill Estate, Modderfontein