Dr James O’Reilly (1856-1939) stayed in this house with his wife Catherine Elizabeth (1861-1930). Dr O’Reilly was the district surgeon in 1888. The Doctor would leave a homing pigeon by his patients on the farms, which they would release if they required medical attention. During the 2nd Anglo Boer War, they were in charge of the Military Hospital, that was converted Waverley Hotel, that was next door. Both he and Cassie were interned in the Merewent Concentration Camp.
55 Pretorius Street, Heidelberg
Photographs of Dr O'Reilly's House (Heidelberg Heritage Association)
Old photograph of the house (Heidelberg Heritage Association)