This two storey structure began as a cabinet maker’s workshop and furniture store built in 1928, the year Johannesburg gained city status. It operated as part of the furniture making industry – a precursor to textile and upholstery businesses which were aligned to the fabric industry and clothing factories. By 1951 the building comprised a workshop and office with storeroom on the upper floor, but the space was converted into a dining area for a restaurant and tavern in 1992. Changes on the site over the years reflect the history of Johannesburg from a young mining city to the important metropolis that it has become.
Fashion Square, Pritchard Street, Fashion District, Johannesburg