In 1931 the United Hebrew Institute of Brakpan commissioned H W Spicer to design a synagogue. The appealing and solid basilica design in red brick, symbolised the tradition and faith of the congregation. The Synagogue was extended in 1955. The building provided sanctuary for those of the African diaspora who were victims of the xenophobic riots of 2019. Today the synagogue is a museum commemorating the Jewish presence on the East Rand. It also serves as an equality centre assisting the whole community.
87 Kingsway Ave, Brakpan