Black Roof was designed by the architects Baker and Fleming in 1910 for Mr H G L Panchaud. He came to South Africa in 1899 as a volunteer with his Indian Regiment in the South African War (1899-1902). Afterwards, he joined the Neumann Group as their Company Secretary. The original shingle roof has been replaced with slate. Built of stone taken from the ridge behind the house, the tilt of the eaves, the dormer windows and the deep recessed stoep are characteristic of Arts and Crafts architecture.
40 The Valley Road, Westcliff