Aiton Court is an internationally recognised example of the Transvaal Group's modernist approach using simple, readily available and inexpensive materials. Designed by Angus Stewart and Bernard Cooke in 1938, it included an entrance foyer and courtyard above the street. In the 1980's it was one of the first buildings to break apartheid laws by welcoming black residents, and housed ACTSTOP which championed the rights of tenants. Restored in 2014 by Trafalgar Property Management with Mayat Hart Architects.
Photographs of Aiton Court (Mark Straw)