Buildings on this property are among the few from old Sophiatown which escaped destruction during the forced removals of 1955-1960. St. Joseph’s Home for Coloured Children was built as a memorial to ‘Coloured’ men who lost their lives in the First World War. The Home opened its doors in 1923. It was run by the Anglian Nuns, the Order of St. Margaret, East Grinstead who remained in charge until 1978 when they left South Africa in protest against apartheid. The Main Block, Boys’ House and Priests’ House were designed by the Diocesan architect F.L.H. Fleming. The Church successfully opposed removal of the Home because the property was on farm land and not part of a proclaimed township.
36 Millar St, Sophiatown
Photographs of St Joseph's Home (The Heritage Portal)