This fine office block was designed in 1935 by Stucke, Harrison & Smail for the South African Mutual Life Assurance Society (now Old Mutual) and served as its Johannesburg headquarters for over fifty years. The fine bronze lamps, and the brass fittings for doors and lifts were made in Johannesburg by Frederick Sage and Co. and adorned the impressive banking hall on the ground floor. They are worthy echoes of the Rockefeller Centre in New York. A special Act of Parliament exempted the Mutual Assurance from taxation levied on banks and building societies.
37 Harrison Street, Marshallstown
Photographs of the S.A. Mutual Buildings (The Heritage Portal)