Designed by JH Aldwyncle, this house was built in 1905 for Henry S Wilson, a produce merchant. Known as the “Oats King”, Wilson built North Lodge on the profits made supplying the British army with fodder for its horses. The fodder was imported from Central America and mixed with the hay were plant seeds of blackjack, khakis, gallant soldier and cosmos - invades of another type.
17 Victoria Avenue, Parktown
Photographs of North Lodge (The Heritage Portal)