This massive steel structure, built in 1913, was designed by the town engineer G.S. Burt Andrews. It was manufactured in Britain and is a fine example of industrial architecture. The Newtown Market Building ceased to operate in 1974. From 1976 it was used and redeveloped by the Africana Museum, which reopened in 1994 as Museum Africa.
121 Lilian Ngoyi St, Newtown