In the early 1900’s the three daughters of Sytze Wierda (Government engineer and architect of the Transvaal Republic) lived in this area and formed the core of residents who built this church on land donated by the Obermeyer family. Obermeyer, Wierda’s son-in-law, was responsible for the wood work. “Mom Rooibaart” Miller, who was an Adjutant with the ZARPs during the Anglo-Boer War did the brickwork and plastering. The church opened in 1924 and is the oldest building in Sandton in its original state. It is now the Sandown Union Church.
8 Stella Street, Sandown
Photographs of Little Church in the Pines (The Heritage Portal)