In 1932 Eric Gallo bought this property for the company he had started in 1926 which sold records, musical instruments and sheet music. It expanded rapidly and, in 1936, architects Harrison, Tomkin and Richardson added three storeys and a recording studio as well as remodelling the facade. In 1949 Gallo Africa (Pty) Ltd, commissioned Stucke, Harrison & Smail to create more space and a distinctive new look. It proved a fine example of Art Deco Revival. The record mills are historic markers of the first place where many famous South African recording artists began their careers.