This is one of the first residential buildings to be completed for the dynamite factory – the latest in the world - which opened in 1896. Set in extensive grounds, the house was built using materials imported from Germany, and the roof is Germanic in character. It was the home of the first Factory Manager, Franz Hoenig, and housed seven successive Factory Managers from 1897 to 1949. The house was restored by AECI in 1971.
High Street, Modderfontein
Franz Hoenig Haus (The Heritage Portal)
Old photograph of Franz Hoenig Haus
Blue Plaque Installation (Johannesburg Heritage Foundation)
Another shot of the installation (Kathy Munro)