On 31 May 1900 the South Africa Mounted Rifles took the surrender of the Fort. The first to enter were Sgt-Maj. J. R. Read and Cpl. H.H. “Breaker” Mourant. Thereafter it was garrisoned by the Cheshire Regiment which retained the captured South African Republic (Z.A.R.) flag, the “Vierkleur”, amongst its trophies.
[Two plaques for The Fort]
11 Kotze Street, Braamfontein
Photographs of the Old Fort (The Heritage Portal)