The Synagogue, an impressive souvenir of Jewish Doornfontein, was built in 1906 to serve the growing Jewish community. The architect was M.J. Harris, son of Johannesburg’s first rabbi, M.L.. Harris. The architecture is eclectic, combining western Mannerist columns with Lithuanian domes thus evoking memories of the homelands of this immigrant community. The Lions represent the Lions of Judah, whose name signifies Praise of God, while the young lions indicate strength, courage and vitality.
120 Siemert Rd, New Doornfontein, Johannesburg, 2094
Photographs of Doornfontein Synagogue (The Heritage Portal)
Old postcard of Doornfontein Synagogue