Built in the 1840’s by Rudolph Bronkhorst, the first owner of Boekenhoutfontein, the house is typical of the early Transvaal pioneer type. The walls are made of sun-dried mud bricks, which were simply plastered over with clay, and not painted. Wood for the roof beams, window and door frames and window shutters was cut from the locally occurring Boekenhout (Beechwood) trees. There were no window panes, because at this time window glass was unavailable in the Transvaal. The house was occupied at least until 1862, when Paul Kruger purchased the farm and built the first Kruger house.
Take the N4 west through Rustenburg and take Exit 169 to the Ottoman Highway north. After 10km take the 1st exit at the roundabout onto the R565. After 2.3km the entrance to Kedar Heritage Lodge is on the left. Enquire at reception for access to the Kruger houses.
The first house on Boekenhoutfontein built by Rudolf Bronkhorst or P.T. Erasmus from whom Paul Kruger bought the farm in 1862. (Photo V. Carruthers)