In 1898 a Swiss Chalet was built here for merchant Carl Rolfes. In 1906 it was bought by Randlord and MP Sir Lionel Philips, chairman of Rand Mines. His influential wife Florence founder of the Johannesburg Art Gallery and described as 'No Ordinary Women', masterminded the creation of the present Villa Arcadia with Architect Sir Herbert Baker. Certain design features are mirrored in Pretoria's Union Buildings, designed by Baker the following year. In 1923, under the S.A. Jewish Orphanage, it became 'The Arc', serving children for the next 78 years. Bought by HOLLARD in 2003, the Villa's original elegance and historic craftsmanship have been restored and are complemented by a modern art collection.
2 Federation Road, Parktown
Photographs of Villa Arcadia (The Heritage Portal)