The Amathole Museum, which has an international reputation, originated from the King William's Town Naturist Society founded in 1884. The name of the Museum has changed twice, and in 1999 officially to Amathole. The isiXhosa term amathole (calves), is the name of the nearby mountains. The museum is housed in several heritage sites. The old Public Library houses the Across the frontier and Wagon Room exhibitions. The original Museum building houses Huberta, Wolsak the buffalo, and many more animal exhibitions. The old Post Office houses the Xhosa Gallery.
Fill out this form to apply to join The Heritage Directory.
Click here to search The Heritage Directory