This house was designed by H. Baker and Masey in 1903 for Richard Alan Barry and his wife, Gladys (van Der Byl). Barry was born in Kimberley in 1874, educated mainly in England before arriving in Johannesburg in 1893, working initially at Robinson Mine and later at West Rand Mines, becoming Chief Surveyor.
He served with Marshall’s Horse during the Anglo-Boer War, ending as a Lieutenant. He received the Queen’s Medal with five clasps. He then continued in Johannesburg as a mining engineer.
7 Campbell Road, Parktown