Originally designed in 1908 as a modest single-storey home by Robert Howden, its fortunes changed when it was bought by the Hunt family, owners of Williams Hunt Chevrolet, in the late 1920s. Elegant gables were added to the northern facade, and then an additional storey. It was used as the official residence of the Dean of St Mary’s Cathedral in the 1960s and 70s, a politically-charged time for the Church. Subsequent owners included Ferrari aficionado and racing-car driver Libero Pardini, and Rabbi Rapoport.
43 St David’s Road, Upper Houghton
Photographs of the Deanery (sourced by Kathy Munro)
The Deanery (Andre Marais)