This ArchSoc excursion by coach will visit the Karoo heartland with its extraordinary palaeontological heritage. Prof. Bruce Rubidge, who has relocated to Graaff-Reinet, will provide us first-hand knowledge of the area’s world-famous fossil heritage. Visit the spectacular geology of the Valley of Desolation, view the Rubidge Fossil Collection, the Kitching Fossil Exploration Centre and the Owl House in Nieu- Bethesda, see a remarkable fossil site on Doringplaas and spend an evening over wine at the Reinet House Museum listening to the dramatic history of Graaff-Reinet. We will be staying at the Ganora Guestfarm, which has its own fossil and archaeological collection. There will be time to explore Graaff- Reinet. On the return journey, stop for the night at Cradock to visit the Olive Schreiner House and the Great Fish River museums.
- Please contact Anne Raeburn email@example.com to book
- Tour price: R6 800 per person sharing
- Included in cost
- Coach transport on a 36/38-seater coach with two drivers;
- three nights’ accommodation at Ganora Guestfarm and one night at Die Tuishuise and Victoria Manor;
- three breakfasts and two dinners at Ganora;
- dinner and breakfast at the hotel in Cradock;
- talk and guided tours of the museum and rock painting site at Ganora;
- talk and scene-setting talk by Prof. Bruce Rubidge at Wellwood Farm and visit to the Rubidge fossil Collection;
- visit to the Doringplaas fossil site;
- transport and guides to the Valley of Desolation;
- entrance fees to the Kitching Fossil Centre, the Owl House, the Camdeboo National Park, the Oliver Schreiner House and Great Fish River museums;
- the Reinet House historical function with wine; the accompaniment of Prof. Bruce Rubidge and an ArchSoc tour leader; safe vehicle parking in Johannesburg.
- Not included: Lunches and refreshments on all five days and dinner on 7 October. Sundowner drinks at the Valley of Desolation are for own account. All personal expenses.
- Single supplement: Subject to availability and individual quotation depending on accommodation booking.
- Minimum group size: The tour price is based on a minimum of 25 paying participants. Should this number not be reached, a price adjustment may be required.
- Bookings: Please book with Anne Raeburn via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Normal ArchSoc booking conditions for outings apply. Bookings will be taken in order of receipt. Members who booked on this tour prior its postponement/cancellation owing to Covid will be given preference.
- Booking confirmation: Your booking will only be firm once confirmed by email by Anne. The deposit will then be due immediately.
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.