SACAP established the Heritage Sub-committee in 2017 with a mandate to ‘advise Council on the Registration Category for the Architectural Professions who are active in the Heritage sector within the Built Environment’. The Heritage Committee is a Sub-Committee of the Education Committee, and is established in terms of Section 17 of the Architect’s Profession Act, 2000 (Act No. 44 of 2000), the Act. The work of the Committee relates to the following: Sections 13(a), 13(b), 13(c), 13(d), 13(e), 14(f), 14(g), 15(5) and 27 of the Act, and Sections 4(k), 4(n), and 4(p) of the Council for the Built Environment Act, 2000 (Act 43 of 2000 (‘The CBE Act’)
The Heritage Sub-Committee acts on a mandate as delegated by Council. The extent of the delegated authority by Council to the Sub-Committee is to consider, review, assess, advise and recommend to Council on matters pertaining to its area of responsibility, being Heritage and matters associated therewith.
Some of the functions of the Heritage Sub-Committee are to:
- Advise Council on the creation of a Registration Category for Architectural Professionals in the Heritage Sector in the Built Environment.
- Determine minimum competencies for such Architectural Professionals in the Heritage Sector of the Built Environment.
- Determine procedures for evaluation of minimum competencies and registration of Architectural Professionals in the Heritage Sector of the Built Environment.
- Furnish Heritage Authorities with lists of registered Architectural Professionals in the Heritage Sector of the Built Environment.
- Liaise with heritage authorities as to needs and assistance in matters pertaining to heritage and conservation of the built environment.
SACAP is conducting a survey to establish the number of registered persons who will be recorded and consulted to advise on registration categories and competencies as an Architectural Heritage Professional. Please download the survey below and return to Kimberley.Rowan@sacapsa.com by the 5th June 2019.