Started as a Diocesan school in 1888 in Jeppestown, St Mary’s moved north in 1934 as an independent church school. Miss E B Darke had taken charge in 1930 and supervised the complex transfer to Waverley on a tight budget, involving split-pole cabins for the earliest classrooms. The new buildings, designed by Reid and Martin, were simple and restrained and included cloisters. There were ready for the Golden Jubilee in 1938.
55 Athol Street, Waverley
Photographs of St Mary's School (The Heritage Portal)
St Mary's from above (sourced by the Johannesburg Heritage Foundation)