The congregation was established in 1865 . The first church building, known as the “Kruiskerk”, was constructed on the current parking area. The cornerstone of the current building was laid by Commandant General PJ Joubert on 12 April 1890. The “Kruiskerk” was demolished after the completion of the new church. The first minister of the congregation was Ds NJ van Warmelo. The cellar of the church was used as a school for the orphans of the Second Anglo Boer War. The tower of the church collapsed in 1909 after heavy rains. The building was declared a National Monument in 1969.
HF Verwoerd St, Heidelberg
A more recent photograph of the Klip Kerk (Heidelberg Heritage Association)
Old photographs of the Klip Kerk (sourced by the Heidelberg Heritage Association)