Designed by FLH Fleming in 1926, the house displays many trademarks of the Baker tradition, but the crisply articulated portico lends it a sophistication that wouldn’t be out of place in a London townhouse. It was owned by the Oates family from 1933 to 1989. Originally from Australia, Bert Oates and his Brother Len were pioneers in the automative retail and manufacture industry in South Africa. The cloistered, secret garden is a memorial to Pearl Oates’ horticultural talents.
13 5th St, Houghton Estate