In 1911 Waterson and Veale designed this house for F.M. Barry, who sold it in 1916 to Dr F.S. Lister, a doctor seconded from the gold mines to the South African Institute for Medical Research. In 1918 he identified the pneumococcus responsible for the deaths of thousands of mine workers annually, and developed an effective vaccine against it. This breakthrough in health medicine was rewarded with a knighthood in 1920, and it was as Sir Frederick Spencer Lister that in 1926 he was appointed Director of the Institute.
31 The Valley Road, Westcliff