Iziko’s Archaeology Unit recently installed a new exhibition 'Talking Heads and Heritage'. In conversation with the Lydenburg Heads celebrates the thousand-year-old Lydenburg Heads as one of South Africa’s most treasured archaeological finds. The exhibition shows that rites of passage have been important to the people of southern Africa for a long time. It displays the set of seven Lydenburg Heads and associated finds to highlight the archaeology of this time period and its location in Mpumalanga and illustrates their place within farming communities across Africa during the first millennium AD. Recent studies have demonstrated an intriguing possibility of ritualistic and spiritual behaviour through rites of passage practice.
- Date: Wednesday 24 November 2021
- Time: 18:00
- Lecturer: Dr Wendy Black
- Bookings: Click here to book through Webtickets
- Pricing: R40,00 for members R65,00 for non members
- Once your booking has been confirmed, you will find the link to the lecture on your My Tickets page of your Webtickets profile.
- Platform: Join on Microsoft Teams. You do not need to have Microsoft Teams installed on your device. We do recommend you connect using your laptop or PC (not mobile phone) for a better user experience
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.