Join me for the launch of Dr. David Brock Katz’s new book, ‘General Jan Smuts and his First World War in Africa 1914 -1917′. David will be spending a little time in my hometown, Hermanus to launch this new look at Jan Smuts’ military campaign and leadership during World War 1.
We will do the launch at Romantiques in Hermanus, in their cosy little theatre. David and I have agreed to do a joint talk on Jan Smuts, David will focus on Smuts in the context of his book and I will focus on Smuts – the man and his flawed genius. In all it should be a great evening for anyone who is either a student of history or has a fascination for one of Africa’s greatest sons.
We will follow up the talk with a book signing ceremony with complimentary Beer, Wine and Canapés. As a brewery owner my Company ‘The Spirit of Hermanus’ and our beer brand ‘Old Tin Hat’ will be sponsoring, along with Jonathan Ball Publishes and the venue – Romantiques. Book Mark, the appointed retailer of the book in Hermnaus will also be on hand.
For a small fee of R40 you can also stay on for a screening of Peter Jackson’s world renowned documentary on World War 1, ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’.
For those in area who wish to attend here are the details:
- Date: Friday 16th September 2022
- Arrive from 17:00 for 17:30
- Talk and Q&A from 17:30 to 18:30
- Book Signing, Beer and Wine Evening from 18:30 to 19:30
- Movie Screening ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ from 19:30 to 21:00
- Venue: Romantiques, 18A Aberdeen Street, Hermanus, South Africa
- RSVP: Please call Karen Dickens, South African mobile: 067 360 9020. Alternatively e-mail: email@example.com
- Please note spaces are very limited, so be sure to book early.
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.