Our next outing will be to explore the mining heritage of the Spekboom River valley to the north east of Lydenburg. The area experienced two gold rushes and the mountainsides are peppered with prospecting trenches and small gold mines. On Finsbury there is a small museum housing relics of these activities.
There are three meeting points and times for people wishing to attend:
- 07:00 - Nelspruit Crossing at Mica/KLCBT. (Travel time to Lydenburg is 11⁄2 hours.)
- 08:30 - Lydenburg Longtom Spar/Wimpy.
- 09:00 – Mount Anderson Catchment Nature Reserve security gate. (Travel time from Lydenburg is 20 minutes.)
Programme for the morning
- Introduction to the area and its history – Riverbed Africa, Natalshoop
- Explore early gold mining history – Rivendell, Natalshoop
- Explore early gold mining and Bokoni history – Nooitgedacht
- Explore early gold mining history – Highland Run
- Explore early gold mining history – Finsbury
- Picnic lunch back at Highland Run Lodge
- High ground clearance vehicle
- Field shoes, walking stick, hat, sunscreen
- Picnic lunch, refreshments, table, chairs, etc.
- Toilets are available at some stops along the route
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.