This prestigious event is hosted annually by the Minister of the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport. It has become an opportunity to proudly acknowledge and showcase the diversity of the Western Cape Arts and Culture, Language, Heritage, Museum, Geographical Names, Library and Archive Services. The ceremony promotes social inclusion and instills citizens with a sense of confidence and pride in their historic, cultural and linguistic heritage.
The awards honour work that has contributed to strengthening the platform upon which the province can position itself as the creative centre of the nation. Nominees must:
- be residents of the Western Cape;
- demonstrate a commitment to meeting the development needs of communities in the province;
- have extensive knowledge of, and experience in, their fields;
- never before won an award in the same category.
Consideration is also given to the extent to which nominees have had a positive impact on inclusivity, nation building, youth development and the empowerment of women. These considerations all give effect to the Western Cape Government’s goal of creating a more socially inclusive province for all residents.
Nomination forms will be available on the homepage of www.westerncape.gov.za/cas on the DCAS roving banner/carousel (click here)
Submission of nominations
- POST: Xolisa Tshongolo Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport Private Bag X9067 Cape Town 8000
- FAX: 021 483 9675/ 086 233 8208
- HAND DELIVERY: Xolisa Tshongolo Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport 1st Floor, Protea Assurance Building Greenmarket Square Cape Town
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for nominations is 25 November 2016.
A panel of experts will evaluate every nomination and make its recommendations. The Department will advise award winners in good time. An awards ceremony will be held at which the winners will be publicly announced. No documentation will be returned. The decision of the selection panel is final, and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into. Minister Anroux Marais will be hosting the official ceremony during February 2017.
Categories relevant to the heritage community (click for the full list)
- Best Heritage Project.
- Best Heritage Impact Assessment or Heritage Report.
- Most Active and Objective Conservation Body, Volunteer or Municipality.
- Best Contribution to the Standardisation and/ or Public Awareness of Geographical Names
- Best Museum in the Western Cape
- Most Ground-breaking New Museum Project.
- Best Museum Volunteer.
- Best Contribution to the Preservation of Local Heritage
- Archives Advocacy Award
- Most Influential Person in Records Management.
- Emerging Leader in Archives and Records Management.
- Best Contributor to Archival Heritage.
The Ministerial Special Awards are:
- Outstanding Achievement of Women in Arts and Culture, Language, Heritage, Geographical Names, Museums, Libraries or Archives.
- Outstanding Achievement of Youth in Arts and Culture, Language, Heritage, Geographical Names, Museums, Libraries or Archives.
- Lifetime Achievement in Arts and Culture, Language, Heritage, Geographical Names, Museums, Libraries or Archives.
- National and International Contribution in Arts and Culture, Language, Heritage, Geographical Names, Museums, Libraries or Archives.