The ‘Randlords Heritage Walk, Kensington 2018’ will be hosted on Heritage Day, Monday the 24th Sept. 2018. We will meet at 8:30am in the parking lot of the Kensington Bowling Club, Ivanhoe Street, just off Roberts Avenue, Kensington, Johannesburg.
The itinerary includes:
- Kensington Bowling Club - The oldest bowling Club in Johannesburg established in 1914.
- Lion House - Built in 1907 -1909 by George Wollacott, who was a master decorator of stucco work.
- Kensington Sanatorium (Pink Fairy Castle) and Chapel - Built in 1897, administered by French Sisters of ‘The Holy Family Order’ until 1915.
- Jeppe High School for Boys - Designed by Sir Herbert Baker, Jeppe High School for Boys was built in 1909. The School is named after Julius Jeppe. Prime Minister Jan C. Smuts unveiled the Word War 1 Memorial.
- Scottish Horse Memorial - Scottish Horse Memorial was erected in memory of the officers and men who died during the South African Anglo-Boer War in 1901-1902.
- Dykeneuk (Stone House) - Designed by Sir Herbert Baker in 1904.
Isabella Pingle will be offering 1 Heritage Map to every participant on this Walk. Click here for more details.