As the title to this email indicates our first “away game” is to Matjiesfontein and Laingsburg. The trip will take place on Wednesday 26th and Thursday 27th of September and is in celebration of Heritage Week.
The trip will take the following format:
Wednesday 26th September.
- Meet at Zanddrift (Drostdy Restaurant) at 07h30
- Leave Zanddrift at 08h00
- Proceed to our accommodation at Jakkelsfontein (+ – 170kms).
- Arrive at Jakkelsfontein at approx 10h30 and drop off our luggage.
- From there we proceed to Matjiesfontein Cemetery (+ – 30 kms) where Dave Guy will give a short talk on some of the people interred there.
- From there we proceed to Laingsburg (+ – 40 kms) and visit the Laingsburg Flood Museum.
- Madre Walters will then take us on a tour of the town. (For those who are interested, there is a book on sale at the museum with the title “Dorp and Dam” for R200).
- We will then lunch in Laingsburg at a cheap and cheerful restaurant ( e.g. Wimpy or the like). Thereafter members can purchase supplies (at the OK) for a braai to be held at our accommodation in the evening. (Alternatively you can bring your braai preferences with you from home).
- Thereafter we head back to Jackelsfontein (+- 70 kms) to relax, socialize and braai.
Thursday 27th September
- 08h30 Pack up our luggage and load into the vehicles.
- 09h00 Leave our accommodation for Matjiesfontein.(+-40kms)
- Arrive in Matjiesfontein where we shall breakfast.
- We then take a guided bus tour of Matjiesfontein and visit the 2 museums.
- Finally we lunch at Matjiesfontein (optional) and then leave for home in your own time.
It is proposed that we pool cars and would like any members who are agreeable, to make their cars available and to please let us know. Petrol costs will be per car divided between the occupants. (Cars to be filled before and upon return). Estimate: R 240 p.p. with 4 to a vehilcle.
The accommodation at Jakkalsfontein is R250 p.p. sharing. There are 22 places available. We will take bookings on a first come first served bases. All meals and refreshments are for your own account.
We intend asking R80 p.p to cover the bus tour, museum entrance fees, tour guides and tips. We have based this figure on the tour being fully subscribed. Therefore this amount may differ slightly depending on participation.
All those who want to participate, please phone Hennie Steyn on 082 956 9454 before the 12th of September as we need to confirm accommodation and pay deposits by this date. Hennie will handle all administration of this tour. Dave Guy will handle finances.
We hope many of you will want to join us for this fun and interesting trip.