DITSONG: Museums of South Africa (DMSA) is a Schedule 3A public entity reporting to the Department of Arts and Culture. DMSA is seeking to appoint a suitably qualified individual on a permanent employment contract for this position based at the Ditsong National Museum of Military History in Johannesburg. Click here to view all the details.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Masters’ degree qualification in the relevant field. PhD degree will be an added advantage. Minimum three years as a museum Curator.
CRITICAL SKILLS / COMPETENCIES NEEDED
- Knowledge of museum operations; knowledge of research and research methodologies; analysis tools and techniques; collection management; problem solving; oral and written communication; budgeting; coaching and mentoring; attention to detail; team work; investigative nature; time management; self-motivation.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS inter alia, include:
- Research: Conduct collections research; Conduct Public Programs Research; Conduct conservation research; Conduct specialised research; Ensure research findings are published; Share knowledge with communities of interest; Identify gaps in the collections; Review research proposals of external researchers.
- Collection Management: Identify artefacts; Catalogue exhibition items; Conduct accessioning; Conduct de-accessioning; Identification and marking of artefacts; Facilitate artefact donations and loans; Conduct preventative conservation; Ensure security of collections; Conduct stock control.
- Public Programmes: Develop education programme in collaboration with Curriculum Specialist; Develop public programme in collaboration with Public Programmes & Exhibition Specialist; Assist Education Officer answer technical questions during exhibition; Exhibit artefacts for Public Programmes; Participate in guided tours; Conduct public lectures; Liaise with media in relation to Public Program and Exhibition.
- Performance Management: Contribution to achievement of targets on APP; Evaluate performance of direct reportees.
- Practice Management: Manage visits of external researchers; Contribute to marketing; collateral development; Manage partnerships; Stakeholder database management; Budgeting and costing; Contribution to Operational Plan development; Coach and mentor direct reportees.
The application must include a covering letter, comprehensive curriculum vitae (three contactable references with e-mail, telephone or cellphone) and certified copies of qualifications. Submit application Hand delivered to: Ga-Mohle Building, 70 WF Nkomo Street Pretoria
Attention: Ms Nancy Monnakgotla Emailed: email@example.com
Closing date and time: 13 November 2020 16h00
- Shortlisted candidates shall undergo competency assessments and personnel suitability check such as criminal record, credit record checks, citizenship, qualification verification and employment record check.
- Application with foreign qualifications will not be considered without SAQA evaluation certificate.
- This is an Employment Equity appointment.
- Enquiries: Ms N Monnakgotla at 012 492 5744/ firstname.lastname@example.org (this email is strictly for enquiries; application submitted to it will not be accepted)
- DMSA reserves the right not to make an appointment. If you do not receive any response within a month of the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. Regret correspondence will only be sent to interviewed candidates.