Built in 1875. The house was used as the Mining Commissioner’s Office and during the 2nd Anglo Boer War, the H.Q. for Major John Maximilian Vallentin, the first commanding officer of “Vallentin’s Heidelberg Volunteers” consisting of “Joiners”. They were nicknamed the “Witkoppen” and hated by the Boers. Major Vallentin was killed in action on the 4th of May 1902. There is a plaque in his honour in the St Ninians Anglican Church.
1 Marais Street, with the entrance at 2 Jordaan Street, Heidelberg
Photographs of Vallentin's (Heidelberg Heritage Association)