Penny Grimbeek, who was the curator at Jan Smuts house in Irene for nearly ten years until 2000 will give us an illustrated talk on ‘Jan Smuts: A Man of Letters.’ This will concentrate on a different side of the man, not the statesman and war hero, but more on his literary works and passions both intellectual and personal. Penny was awarded the Simon van der Stel Gold Medal for her work at the Jan Smuts House Museum and for successfully campaigning to have his library moved back to the house in Irene from the University of Pretoria.
- Saturday 12 June 2021 at 14h30
- Venue: SASNEV. Directions: From the N2 take the M52 off ramp (Raapenberg Rd/Forest Drive) to Pinelands. From Forest Drive turn left into Forest Place, right into Central Avenue and then to 4 Central Square. Parking: in the street. Duration: Approximately: 1 hour.
- All the bookings are made via email: email@example.com
- The Foundation is not responsible for any injuries or loss incurred during outings. Members and their guests take part at their own risk.
- As per the Covid-19 protocol we are required to check the following with attendees - should you have suffered over the past 10 days from COVID-19 related symptoms, we ask that you remain at home and update us accordingly. Masks must be worn for the duration of the talk.
- Organisers: Lesley Cox 073 656 9496 and Andrew Jones 082 928 2808
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.