Our next outing will be to explore the heritage of Belfast. Our host for the day will be Johan Boshoff, a resident, who is actively engaging with the community and civics to save Belfast’s deteriorating heritage and monuments. Below is a list of what will be on the itinerary for the day:
- Taal monument (at the old town hall)
- Slave clock (at the old town hall)
- Old English graveyard from the boer war with concentration camp graves
- Burger Monument (inside old age home premises)
- Covenant Monument (This obelisk was erected in 1886 to commemorate the vow taken by Andries Pretorius and his men shortly before the Battle of Blood River in 1838. It is the oldest monument of its kind in the Transvaal.)
- The Bezuidenhout Cannon (at Belfast Akademie school). They also have an old “Sanna” rifle to be viewed.
- NG church - 1914
- First church in Belfast with a lot of artefacts inside, acting as small museum. This will be opened for us.
- First police station in Belfast. This will be opened for us by the municipality.
- The English headquarters (used by the traffic department now as offices).
Email email@example.com for more information.
NG Kerk Belfast (Mpumalanga Heritage)
Disclaimer: Any views expressed by individuals and organisations are their own and do not in any way represent the views of The Heritage Portal.