This walk attempts to explain how this area between the sea-shore and the Lion Mountain, previously inhabited by the nomadic Khoi-San people, became a holiday resort for the employees of the Dutch East India Company, in an effort to get away from dusty and often unhygienic Kaapstad. On the walk we shall discuss some of the events which brought about a transformation in Green Point from “woeste veldt” to a prosperous suburb.
Host: Simon van der Stel Foundation
Date: 2 March at 14h00
Cost: R75pp. Limited to 20 persons. No wheelchair access.
Contact: Andrew Jones (cell 0829282808).
Meet: At the parking area of the Gallows Hill Traffic Department.
Directions: Coming into town from the N1 and N2 come off the elevated freeway in Buitengracht and take the third turnoff to the right into Somerset Road (Prestwich Memorial will be on your left). Pass the Cape Quarter on the left and after the second set of traffic lights turn right into the parking area of the Traffic Dept.
Duration: 90 minutes.
Bookings: Made via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). All the bookings are done through the secretary, Pat Benbow-Hebbert. Office hours (Mon – Fri 08:30 – 13:00).
• The Foundation is not responsible for any injuries or loss incurred during outings. Members and their guests take part at their own risk.
• Please note non-members are charged an additional fee of R25pp for outings booked.
• Requests for concessions on outings could be discussed with Pat in confidence.
• Banking details: ABSA Wynberg Branch Code 632005. Account 38019980011 Savings Account Simon van der Stel Foundation. Please state your name in reference column.
• EFT payments please (cash deposits attract bank fees).
• Only a limited number of people can be accommodated per outing. You are therefore advised to book early.
• Cancellation fee: 25%. Cancellations 1 week or less no refund.
• Take note that the organiser’s cell number is given at each outing. Make use of this service to establish whether an outing will proceed in case of inclement weather or to get directions. Use these numbers only on the day of the outing.